Sunday, July 11, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 7/11/2021

Winged at Hickam today - wind was good back at the house, so I packed all the wings (you never know), the HS1850, HS1250 and HA1125 and headed out.  When I got there, Miles was coming in and he said it was better earlier.  I took a look at it and decided to pump up the 5.2 and bolt on the HS1850.

As I was finishing set up, Prayot and Roland drove up.  Brian was already out, and there were two other guys I didn't know (local guy on a F-One Strike and the older guy on the Slick).  I headed out and the wind was good enough for the combo I set up.

I made a shake down run since it had been a bit since I was last out.  After a few runs on the inside I headed out.  Brian had a new Score 5.2 - he said it was more powerful than the Ensis V2 (the 5.2 had the low end of the 6.0).  A gust came up and I headed out to catch some more waves.  A set was moving through and on the third wave I saw a huge dark object swimming a few feet under the rising wave... I thought it was a tiger shark 8' to 10' (Prayot later said he thought it was 15' - he used to lifeguard at this beach and he's run into several sharks before).


The wind had a few holes - if I had the 6.0 I could have sailed through the holes, but the gusts would have kicked my butt.


You can see the lulls in the chart below.  I got in a total of 16.64 nm and reached a top speed of 15.3 kt - this was on a pretty big wave where I was in the pocket and had the pedal to the metal.  Pretty good top speed for the HS1850.  I ended up riding a few really good waves - one of the better days I've had on the wing out here.


I headed in just in time to avoid the bigger lulls.  You can see a few wingers if you look closely at the picture below.


This week is supposed to be windy.  I'm actually going to skip tomorrow and rest (I have been out everyday for a long streak - should rest so I don't break).

No comments: