Saturday, July 3, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 7/3/2021

Special guest today - my old buddy Nick Yamodis met me at Hickam - this was his first Wing Foiling session.  I forgot to take a picture...

I also brought Kalani on.  The wind was not like it was forecasted to be - it was full of holes, super gusty then dead, and it kept swinging from different directions.  I had the HS1250 on again, but swapped out the board, put footstraps on and used the 5.2.  Honestly I should have used the HS1850 and the 6.0 -


I stayed on the inside for the first couple of hours.  Tried to stay close to Nick to help him out, but also the wind was pretty fluky.  Nick washed up at the flats and did the walk of shame to get his van.  We all do it - but he did get up on foil multiple times.

After he left around 11, I headed back out and by this time Prayot, Roland and another guy were out.  I played around on the inside until the wind started to fill in again - then I went out to Firsts.   


Every one followed and that's when the chaos began.  The wind would go into heavy gusts, the it started to swing offshore.  It was actually hard to get back in - one because of the direction, but mostly because the lane between reef at inside Seconds and the taxiway is rather narrow.  I eventually made it back in to the inside.


Max speed was 16.2 kts and I got in 21.53 nm (but over three hours).  You can see tons of lulls today -

The harness is a winner - my tendons aren't nearly as sore as they have been - especially from a session like today.  I also think going out on slightly undersized equipment (wing and front foil specifically) really makes you focus on technique.  I felt I was getting better and pumping the wing and foil simultaneously.


After everyone got back in - Brian and Harris pulled into the parking lot - winger convention!  I love this activity!

No comments: