Monday, July 5, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 7/5/2021

The inbound swell hit last night.  I passed on the dawn patrol - I actually needed the rest.  I ended up taking Noe to a house where she is bird sitting, then talking to Kalani about his wing board, and then packing up to take Noe to sailing practice.  I was going to meet Nick at Kailua and go winging, but the parking lot was nuts.  I left him with some things he needed to get the kite foil board setup and headed over to Hickam (since that is where I was going to pick up Noe after practice).  I got there around 2 and the wind was iffy.  There were a bunch of guys out (two on Slicks, Brian on his 4.5, Harris on his 5.4) and the swell was huge - it was actually breaking over the breakwater by a large margin.


I setup the 5.2, bolted on the HS1532CS, and off I went.  I did a few warm up laps, then headed out to Firsts.  I was crossing the inside when the first big set rolled through.  I made it over an overhead wave that was pitching lip and pumped over to the area inside the breakwater.  Then the wind just died - I was in a weird dead zone.  I saw a gust coming, I turned and pick up ahead high wave (one of the smaller ones today) - and after going through some whitewater, I lost it.  I was able to get the wing up above three broken waves and decided it would be best if I went back in to the kiddie pool before I lost or broke something.


The wind was good for the 5.2 - there were a few lulls but nothing like the dead zone out at Firsts.


I was able to milk 17.3 kts out of the HS1532CS.


And in order to not be late in picking up Noe, I headed in around 4:30.  While packing up, I got to talk to the guys that were using the Slicks.  I definitely like the Ensis V2 better than the Slicks.


My forearms are not hurting - the harness is doing it's job!  I think after today, I'm going to take a few days off from winging... I need a break - like prone foiling!

No comments: