Monday, June 10, 2024

Wing Foiling Session - 6/10/2024

I was going to pick up Noe after her sailing race today - but that left me with some time on my hands.... hmmmm - what to do???

The wind forecasts were a little divergent - Surfline calling for consistent wind to dusk, while iwindsurf.com called for the wind to stay strong into the early afternoon, then drop off pretty quickly.  Both sites were calling for large waves.

When I got there, the wind was blowing nicely - I figured it would be blowing even stronger outside so I pumped up the SW2 4.7


The rest of the gear was the Evolution Cedrus mast, the Eagle 890/DW190 all mounted on No.36


This session was mostly tacks toe and heelside, light wind and strong.  I can't believe how easy the toe-sides are now -

I did a quick warm up and headed out to Firsts.  The wind outside was really full of holes.  I had to go way outside the breakwater to get to solid wind (to turn without risk of going down).  The waves were big so I didn't want to have to deal with them in the worst of all positions (impact zone with no wind).

I caught a rode 2, and decided I would get into trouble if I stayed out in that up and down wind.


I think Anson was out and headed in as I was going out.  There was another winger out - he had come over from Iroquois Point.  He was on the same track I was - out beyond the breakwater to get wind and waves.

I headed in and just started throwing tacks - and like I said earlier, I felt this was the easiest I've ever had making them.  I even started tacking in quick succession to simulate going upwind in a race - easy button.

The track pattern is a lot tighter when packed with tacks.


Harris went out - 5.0 wing and SF840 foil.  The wind was light on the inside (with some puffs), but it looked worst outside.


I had my share of dropping off foil - but the gusts were not far behind the lulls.


Fun session today with all the tacks - just wish the wind was more consistent.

W:68/FD:43/F:4/S:12

No comments: