Sunday, June 9, 2024

Garage Works - 6/9/2024

I've been enjoying naps in the afternoons this weekend - so I actually skipped out on foiling today (naps are also a cool activity that I thoroughly enjoy).

What I did instead was get a few projects moved forward.

This one was from yesterday evening - I got the new to me 90cm Project Cedrus Aluminum mast sealed up.  I used the JB Weld Marine Weld this time - mixes up nice and think to minimize running and the set up is conducive for that as well (5 minutes).

I'm looking forward to using this mast when Foil Drive-ing in bigger surf to keep the foil in better water (deeper to avoid the impacts).


Today I started work on the board (Uncle Joe's) I was asked to install mast tracks in.

I measured out where the centerline is and marked up the foam reinforcement blocks to the 90mm spacing.

Then I used the blocks to mark up the cut lines.  I hemmed and hawed but finally broke out the big router.  Cutting this slot out was a pain in the ass.  There were footstrap inserts and the SUP handle to cut through.  And then there was the tuttle box - royal pain in the ass.  But I did get through it all.

The next step was to place pour foam into the routed hole, but I'm going to have to use epoxy and fiberglass to cap the SUP handle and the tuttle screw holes first (I'll do this tomorrow). 


Not wanting No.37 to languish with all this other work going on, I got it through the 80 and 120 screen grit sanding.  This step is best to do in strong sunlight to see the lines and try to get everything lined up.


After that is when I took my nap and then made a run to Kaneohe to pick up Noe (who has been racing in the Summer Sailing Series).  After we got back, I wanted to get the router work with the straight bit done.  I asked Marlon to man the vacuum and we got the slot for No.37 routed out.


This is a really good (high tolerance cut) slot for the track block.


I am debating whether to use Gorilla Glue in one step, or to use two steps and epoxy a thin layer of fiberglass on the bottom, then epoxy in the block.  This track block is different than the 16" version I have been using - figured I give this brand a try (15" track).


I'm leaning towards the Gorilla Glue (non-expanding) option since the tolerance is tight on the cut - and there is zero chance for exotherm burns.

No comments: