Thursday, June 10, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 6/10/2021

Hit the beach for a third day straight - but today was special... NUKING WINDS ABOUND!!!!


I was out from 3 to 6 - but I did go in a few times to make adjustments - had closer to two hours on the water.  I changed it up a bit today - brought out the Narrow Wing Foiling Board and bolted on the Go Foil GL210.  I also put on a pair of One by One foot straps to start jumping.


My first runs were not good - footstraps were not in the right place (too far back) and with the wind so strong, I was getting destroyed - full speed drops.  Good thing I was wearing a Gath helmet - even though I didn't get airborne, I did get body slammed.  My first trip in I put the front strap as far forward and towards the rail as I could.  That made all the difference and I could control the foil again.  The GL210 had a weird starting pattern - it would wheelie up and seemed like it was stalling - then if I pumped through that mess, the flow cleared up and I was flying normally.  I went in a second time to push the foil forward - and that cured the occurrence of the wheelie.


Harris came out and he made a beeline for Firsts.  I would have joined him, but I had to work through all the issues with getting back on different gear.  He came in by the time I was going out from the second adjustment.  Prayot and Roland came out and we were going back and forth.

 
I absolutely love nuking winds!!!  I got the GL210 up past 15.5 kts and got in a total of 12.55 nm.  I was nailing my inside jibes and holding on for dear life on the outside tacks.  With the strong wind, I was able to jibe on the outside without switching feet and rode for whole runs.  The Ensis 4.5 is an awesome wing and it was perfect for today's insanity!!!!

So I wore my helmet and bolted on the Go Foil and footstraps so I could jump today.  I made five attempts, but they all ended badly.  My body wanted to jump the wing and foil like a kiteboard - but I'm sure that is the wrong way to jump.  Going to have to work on this...

No comments: