Thursday, June 17, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 6/17/2021

Hit Hickam after work.  The wind at the launch was light - if the runway wind sock weren't out there parallel to the horizon, one would have packed up and gone home.  Ken came in when the big group was setting up - he said an hour before (so 2:30pm) it was really strong, but was coming down fast.

I set up the same gear as Tuesday - Ensis 6.0, HS1850/Chopped 300/95cm mast/60cm fuselage, Narrow Wing Foiling Board.


Harris made a beeline for Firsts, so I followed.  Mark and his friend were out there already.  Firsts was breaking nicely and I got some good rides.  After a bit, I saw Prayot and Roland making their way out to through the channel to get in on the wave action.  Roland was holding his line, but Prayot started to drift downwind.  I went over to check on him a few times (you can see my tracks over at Seconds).  It didn't help that the wind seemed to have a bunch of holes in it.  Prayot had to paddle in from outside Seconds... that is a really long paddle.  Roland and I had made it in despite a long lull.


Was out from around 3:30 to around 5:30.  Wind was definitely declining.


I got in 11.85 nm and hit a top speed of 14.6 kt - most likely on the good wave rides.


If the wind were steadier, I could have used the HS1250 and logged some higher speeds - just waiting for the right day (but it is hard to give up the insurance policy that is the HS1850).

No comments: