Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 6/30/2021

The trades are back!!!!  Hit Hickam after work.  Pumped up the 5.2 and rigged the HS1850/85 mast.60 A+ fuse/232 on to the WWFB.  There were two guys out when I pulled up - one had a Duotone Echo and the other had a Slick.  There was also a guy named Zack that came up - he had a prototype Uni wing made of Aluula.  It was a 6 meter and it was super light.  I still love my Ensis.  Knowing the wind is going to be up for the next several days, I also rigged up the harness line and my Dakine Chameleon Harness.


I started out by riding on the inside - wanted to shake the cobwebs off, get some turns in and start playing around with the harness.  The wind was definitely up and strong, but there were a few lulls, and because of all my tweaking the harness line, I drifted down a little.  I went ahead and headed out to Firsts.  There was a fresh swell hitting and I got drawn out.


My turns outside were really fun - with the stronger winds, I was pulling tacks and not coming down at all.  The waves were coming in at a decent pace - I caught several, but the HS1850 was a little slow to keep out in front of the waves consistently.  I might try to use the HS1250 tomorrow.  I'll give up some ability to pop up in the lulls, but I'll have more speed and maneuverability on the waves. I caught a few bombs and it was surreal!  Lots going on while catch a big wave on a foil, going goofy foot with a wing in tow.


I was out from 3:45 to about 6.  The 5.2 was perfect for today and my arms aren't as nuked because I'd use the harness on longer runs.  I'm going to have to work on this but I noticed that while I was using the harness, I didn't have the same "connected to the board" feeling that I had while unhooked.  And I also didn't have the same reaction time to gusts (and I seemed to drop off foil more when hooked in).


My top speed was 15 knots - probably on a wave.  Super fun and I am glad the forecast is calling for strong winds all the way out to next Wednesday at least!!!!

No comments: