Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Wing Foiling Session - 11/14/2023

Today was really off -

When I pulled into the parking lot, the whitecaps were getting sheared off the tops of the waves.  Based on that, I pumped up the Cabrinha Mantis 2.5.  I had the Spitfire 840, so I thought the Mantis 2.5 

By the time I was ready to launch, the wind had backed down.  I thought "I should switch to the 3.6", but I didn't.  Yes - this is setting up a shitty situation...


I also setup No.32 (70 liter board) with the Spitfire 840/350P - it was windy afterall right???


This should be a big clue...


There was wind - and a lot of it.  But it was weird - real swirly and lots of abrupt ups and downs.  Pretty much what you don't want when you put up a tiny wing.


When the big gusts came through, I was up and riding - in fact so much so that I easily hauled upwind to past the wave pool, and then almost to Hau Bush.  If the wind held at that strength, today would have been really good.  But the wind dropped.


And it was down for quite some time.

This was also one of those sessions where there is something else off -

Well - Norm was out and he had a 5.0 wing and the Kujira 1440 - so he was up and riding without much issue.  And he cruised right by a 10' tiger shark that was headed towards Roland and I (stuck without enough wind to get up).  This was the outer blue line...


The shark sighting was incentive to get up - but with the 2.5 I still needed strong wind.  I began to paddle in (as I didn't feel like being bait) - the other incentive for getting up on foil was not doing the walk of shame.  I did eventually get the puff I needed to get back up.  I went for a couple more runs and called it.  I thought about pumping up the 4.2 - but I figured there wasn't too much daylight left.

Hard earned even keel today -

W:113/F:100/S:54

No comments: