Sunday, November 19, 2023

Wing Foiling Session - 11/19/2023

The wind was blowing pretty hard at my housing this morning.  I skipped the dawn patrol surf session and opted to wing.  With the high tide and current swell, the conditions were pretty good when I drove up.


I setup my current light wind lineup (because I didn't trust to wind to stay up).


And as soon as I paddled out, the wind shifted towards the SSW - so pretty much directly onshore.  And that began the odyssey.  I actually reset the watch 4x because I was getting blown downwind (without being able to get up on foil).

Because of the wind direction (had shifted to onshore), the sun starts to play games with your mind - you think there is wind, but there isn't.  But I knew in order to get enough pressure built up in the wing I would need to head back towards shore - and if that took too long, then I'd end up in the impact zone.


After what seemed an eternity, I did get up and stayed up (I had gotten up twice prior, but the wind dwindled below wingable strength).  I got in about 25 minutes of foiling and figured I should quit while I was ahead.


Even with the Eagle 1090/No.25/SW2 5.2 - this was one of the harder sessions I've had in recent months.


There is a 19.7 mph buried in this data set somewhere.  The early spike was likely getting caught in the impact zone and pushed around.


Eddy was wise and didn't bother going out.  Koa was SUP foiling.  Prayot tried and said enough is enough.  Derek went out and made it look easy.

Some days you win - some days you lose - some days you don't know what happened....

W:115/F:101/S:54

No comments: