Sunday, November 5, 2023

Wing Foiling Session - 11/5/2023

Fantastic winds today!


Two(ish) sessions today


First was with No.32, the SW2 4.2, and the Spitfire 840/350P


I made a beeline out to the break - the tide was way high so it was not a big deal.

Spent a lot of time out at Firsts.  The waves were small and weak - but ride what you got.


There were some ridiculous gusts - I even got blown off a few times.

The Spitfire 840 is a visceral surfing foil (where the SK8 is more fluid) - that's the way I've come to feel the difference between the Axis and F One wave riding foils.


I came in to make a gear swap - the Naish Hover Compact LE with the Eagle 1090.  I double stacked the base plate shims (to the rear).  This made taking off much easier than yesterday.


Here's where the 'ish' comes in - I made a first run with this gear combo - and was going along until I started to feel a heavy wobble.  I checked the base plate and it was tight - so it had to be the foil.  The mounting screws came loose.  By the time I paddled in, the first two screws (of three) were in Davy Jones' locker.


I regrouped (placing three new screws in) and headed back out.  By this time the wind was a little lighter.  It took a bit longer to get into a gust that would pick me up, but once I did I stayed up on foil


For fear of coming off foil, I didn't push the speed envelope.


Minus the shims - this picture shows I had the foil positioned pretty much at the same place as yesterday.


I paid attention to where my feet were going - there is no way I can use the stock footstrap positions - way too centered.  I'm going to have to use some stick on inserts - and I'll likely JB Weld them on so there is less of a chance of having them pop off in mid flight.

Of note - nearly every winger who goes to Hickam was out at some point today.  Ryan and Arvin were early birds.  Jim, Matt, and several others were the next crew.  Harris, Jesse, and this list goes on ending with Brantly and Ken.

Super fun day!

W:106/F:99/S:54

No comments: