Thursday, November 16, 2023

Garage Works - 11/16/2023

Light winds and clouds today - that means garage works time.

I got No.33's blank skinned pretty quickly.  Then I went ahead and got it rough shaped.  I cut the rocker and chines in with the planer, then I used the coarse surform to get the shape roughed in.

Here is the top -


The side -


And the bottom.


At under 20" wide, this one would be a sinker for winging, but I figure I should put footstrap inserts (like No.32) to make it as versatile as possible.  I'm also going to put a bottom handle in place to make carrying it easier.

I'm still debating how to glass this one - all carbon, or innegra top and carbon bottom.  I am leaning towards all carbon...

Now that I'm this far into the build, I'm getting the itch to finish it.  I'll go through the dragon skin and sanding screens, remark the center lines, cut the slot for the bottom handle and maybe cut the slots for the mast track boxes.  Marking and installing the footstrap inserts will be a separate day.  I'll likely take Monday off and try and laminate.  That'll put this at ready for surfing next weekend.  We'll see if the surf conditions don't distract me!!!

No comments: