Thursday, May 30, 2024

Wing Foiling Session - 5/30/2024

Nice day at the beach.  The wind was really up - then really down.  The waves were on the small side and the tide was low at 0.5' - but it was pretty mellow and relaxing.


Speaking of relaxing - there was a monk seal chillaxing in the Fenceline pocket.


I wanted to do more testing today - so I bolted on the SK8 750.  And coincidentally I just received the XS Carve 161W Rear Stabilizer I ordered - so I replaced the XXS/Carve 195.  You can really see how much longer the XS is over the previous setup.  Theoretically this should be similar since it is a smaller stab located further back - feedback below.  The wind was blowing on my way home - so I was optimistic and pumped up the North Mode Pro 4.8 (since I hadn't folded it up yet).  


This is where I started the mast with the SK8 750.  This spot had too much front foot pressure (or I didn't give myself enough footstrap distance on the build).


I ended up moving the mast back three times - and just like on No.32, I think it actually will ride where the Eagle 890 sits (I still need to move it back to that spot).  This was countered by the wind today.

I found that I was having a hard time getting up on foil - with the wind being marginal for the Mode Pro 4.8, that was likely a factor.  But I can't help thinking if I took the footstrap off, would I be able to balance the board better by moving forward.


I think if the wind stayed where it was when I first got out to the windline, I would have had a wicked average speed.  I ended up getting stuck for quite some time - dead zone got me.


You can see the blue lines on the way outside...


I got some tacks in today, but between the fluky wind and my wrestling the front foil, I figured I'd just jibe and stay on foil.


I'm thinking the SK8 750 will be for larger wave days.  I think I wouldn't have had any issues if I had the same gear but the SK8 950.

Anyways - that what testing does for you - helps you develop and better understanding of what each component does for you. 


Kalani, Prayot and Duke were also out winging.  It was pretty cool to share waves with riders you can trust.

W:64/FD:40/F:4/S:12

No comments: