Sunday, August 11, 2024

Dawn Patrol/Winging Session - 8/11/2024

Funny winds at Kailua this morning - it was pretty dead on the drive over, then Kalani texted saying it was pretty light over there.  As I drove on Kalaheo, I could see the coconut trees moving.

Matt, Nick and Kalani were all chatting when I pulled up.  The talk was whether the wind would come up.  Donnel and Martin were looking over the prototype Ezzy 5.5 - and then the wind came up... everyone bolted and got their stuff ready.


Matt, Kalani and I were on a mission - to run the route to round Bird Shit Island as a practice run for the upcoming race.

I setup the F One Eagle 890/DW190 on the Evolution Cedrus 87.5 mast bolted to No.34.  Powered by the North Mode Pro 5.5


We had great wind for the approach, but then we didn't.  At first I saw Matt down.  He said he was ok, so I kept pressing to get to the layline for rounding Bird Shit.  Then I saw Kalani go down and I could feel the wind dropping off.

I was pointed towards the Mokuluas and I had some wind so I kept going.  I tacked and headed back to see if the guys had been able to get up.  I got to Kalani, asked if he was good and shortly after I ran out of wind and I was down.


The big black space in my speed track was me sitting out there in deep water for 20 minutes.  I was able to get up twice (and botched the takeoffs because of the big swells rolling in) and on the third try I was up and going again.  Both Matt and Kalani eventually got up (whew - no one needed a lifeguard rescue).


This was the spot where I came off foil - botched jibe.  Lucky for me the wind came back up and I didn't have to drift forever (although 20 minutes out there does seem like forever).


This was the second half of the session - I was winging out where Nick was kite foiling.  Lots of nonbreaking swell rolling in to the boat ramp beach.


Next Saturday the wind is supposed to be strong.  I may try and make another run at this.  But with the stronger winds comes bigger swells.

W:98/FD:58/F:4/S:15

No comments: