Monday, August 5, 2024

Wing Foiling Session - 8/5/2024

Super high tide this afternoon coupled with some belly high waves.  The wind on the other hand... weird direction swings and some flat out discontinuities (that actually knocked me down).


SW2 5.2 (starting to get really soft) coupled with the SK8 950/Carve 200, Evolution Cedrus Wind mast bolted on No.32 (it's been a while since I used this board).


This session was weird - the wind seemed to be all over the place.  It had strength behind it, but it didn't carry - I'm not sure if that was the wing finally losing it's tightness or the wind swirling.  It almost felt like the last time I went out (and had to paddle in).

But I did launch and land without any drama.

And the session seemed shorter than it was...


Lots of different directions can be seen in this track chart.  The wind swell was lined up from the SE - which forced you to go downwind a bit to ride the surf.  But that also put you in the dead zone (where I got stuck last time).

And the wind was strongest pretty close to shore.  I tried to stay in the power band to make sure I didn't get stuck again.

There were a few leftover bigger sets that came through.


I still really think the Kalaeloa meter is off by 5mph (low).


There was this weird "speed bump" where the wind would shift instantly and then switch back - I would trip every time I hit that spot.

And there were a few lulls where I just ran out of wind.

Other than that, the winds were doable.
 

Eli, Roland and Prayot were the other wingers out.

Fun session!!!

W:96/FD:56/F:4/S:15

No comments: