Saturday, August 24, 2024

Wing Foiling Session - 8/24/2024

Hit Hickam today primarily to test the BRM Parawing 5.1

The wind was pretty up and down - and as the day went on it was spinning around from N to E and back again.

The waves were minimal and the tide was nice and high.


I had setup No.34 with the Eagle 890 with the Evolution Mast in between.  I went out first on the parawing.  I spent time getting the wing off the water, trying to figure out where the power was, getting situated on the board and how much wind was needed to get started.

I actually got moving also - but I didn't get up on foil.

Knowing what I learned, here's what I'd do differently:

- I'd use a bigger foil - the Eagle 1090 or the Spitfire 960 would have helped
- I need to aim further downwind to start, then I can turn upwind and cruise like normal
- I'm still trying to figure out how to get power out of this wing - but as gusty as it was today the ups and downs are not conducive to learning to parawing

I paddled in and switched over to the North Mode Pro 5.5


Huge holes today!!!


This was the session with the F One Eagle 890/DW190


You can see the wind shifts in the tracks.

I took a decent wave at Seconds - and a bunch of small ones at Firsts.  I got some tacks in, but with the fluctuations, I leaned more on jibing.


Holes - 


I went in and ate some manapua (Kalani brought it) and switched out to the Eagle 690


I could get the foil to lift, but the same story here - shifty winds, I didn't want to go down so I opted for the jibes.


Giant holes!  It was challenging to get the 690 to lift, but once it was up, it wasn't too bad to keep it up.


I am pooped out!

W:109/PW:1/FD:58/F:4/S:17

No comments: