Friday, August 2, 2024

Wing Foiling Session - 8/2/2024

Kalani was at WPB returning a demo foil to Robby - and he noticed the wind was up and cranking!

I was going to Foil Drive, but I grabbed my winging gear and headed over.

The winds were the same as yesterday - onshore thermals. 


I got ready as quickly as I could - these thermals are fleeting....

Kalani borrowed my SW2 5.2 and I took out the 4.7


Getting out was a challenge.  The wind line looked like it kept moving further and further out - and the waves were bigger than they have been in quite some time.  With the wind blowing the direction it was, getting up on port tack meant heading almost parallel to the beach (actually a tad back towards the beach) - totally weird!!!


Once I was up, riding was really fun.  

I winged pretty far up wind to get into solid wind and I would pick up some pretty sizable waves.  It was epic - until it wasn't.  Thermals can shut off on a dime and that's exactly what happened.  With Trades I can usually feel the pressure easing and I have time to head in.  When thermals crash - that's it.

And unfortunately for me, I was really far out.

And even more unfortunate for me - I was in the washing machine (current converging area - super choppy).  You can see on the track where I kept heading downwind to try and get up - all in futility.

Eli came out to check on me, then again to say he was going in - and to watch out for the sinking boat...

After an hour I was back on dry land.  I came ashore right past the double cabins (so only a short walk of shame).  


Really hard to wing with a 4.7 when there is no wind.


Twenty minutes of really intense riding... followed up by over an hour of trying not to get pummeled by a set and dragging around a large sea anchor.


You win some, and you lose some!

Marlon was longboarding and seemed to be having more fun than me!

W:95/FD:54/F:4/S:15

No comments: