Saturday, August 29, 2020

First Winging Session

And La and I went to Hickam Beach to enjoy the water.  La went SUPing with the Starboard Element and I brought out the Starboard Hypernut, slapped on the Go Foil Maliko 200 (with the 29.5" Mast + 3" track mount).


The tide was dropping from a high of 2.3'.  The wind was blowing 12 to 16 mph, but there was a lot of North to it.  In fact, the longer the session, the more the wind shifted more North.  I actually was holding a line, but I got to a point where I just transferred the wing leash down to my ankle and started paddling in.


Winging is way easier than windsurf wave foiling - I got on foil on port tack and stayed on foil forever.  I was able to get on foil pretty much every time was close to the runway.  On the other hand, I was only able to get up on foil a couple of times.  I think this was mainly due to the north wind and me not wanting to go downwind to build speed.


Today's conditions are definitely at the low end of the Echo.  I never had to drop the wing, but I got close.  During the gusts, the wing felt really good.  Tomorrow is supposed to be better - stronger winds and more from the East.  Great start to winging!!!

No comments: