Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Glassing the Bottom Deck of the Wing Foiling Board

I finally started the glassing - first layer was 4.7 ounce carbon - just kept it to where it needed to be to conserve pumping energy - so it came short of the nose.  Next was a full coverage layer of 2 ounce innegra.  This did not behave the way I thought it was going to - yes it is white, but the weave was space out far enough to see the carbon beneath.  I topped it all with a cover sheet of 6 ounce fiberglass (so I can get a better fill coat and so I can sand down the laps).


I cut slots in the fiber after laying each down.  I had to remove the tape from the finbox slots that I placed earlier - that way I could aim the scissors down in order to cut out a similar slot. 


I ended up using 6x5.6 ounces of epoxy to glass the bottom.  I also used the Home Depot thin knap rollers - these are winners by the way. 


The slots in the fiber layers over the boxes/handle worked really well to let the air bubbles out.  In fact this whole glassing job went surprisingly well (hoping I didn't just jinx myself).  Tomorrow is grinding the laps, setting up the fiber layers for the top deck (2 layers of innegra topped with a layer of 6 ounce fiberglass).  I may actually try doing a cut lap on this one (we'll see how I feel about that tomorrow).

No comments: