Thursday, August 20, 2020

Glassing the Top Deck of the Wing Foiling Board

I got home and was nuked from work.  I changed my clothes, and decided to take a nap instead of surf/foil.  It was also pretty windy so I figured I wouldn't be missing much (haven't gotten the wing yet).  After a short nap, I did get to grinding the laps from yesterday's work, setting up the glass layers, and laid up the epoxy.

The grinding wasn't bad - especially knowing I was going to add some cover layers today.  I did see what happens to the innegra fibers when you try to sand them - worse than carbon.  The glassing schedule was 2 layers of the 2 ounce innegra, all the 6 ounce fiberglass I had - which covered half the board, and all the remaining 2 ounce fiberglass I had.  These bolts are all 36" width to wrap the rails on this 26" wide board. 

I took my time cutting the laps out.  A cut here, pulls to see how the lap would sit and more cuts to get everything to sit tight.  The splice between the two top sheets was as easy as laying the 2 oz on top of the 6 oz.

I used 1x6 oz and 5x4.9 oz loads of epoxy to glass the top.  I had to use a hammer to get the old roller insert off the new roller - I really like this brand of roller - but I now know to take off the old roller immediately after the glassing job.


I also used some saran wrap on the back corners to get the layers to conform better - it all turned out really nice.  Tomorrow will be lap grinding and possibly fill coating.  Since that goes fairly quickly, I may try to get that done as soon as I get home and then get a session in.  We'll see.

No comments: