Sunday, August 30, 2020

Second Session Wing Foiling

The wind was coming more from the east earlier today and it was blowing stronger.  I headed back to Hickam to get another session in.  I set the foil all the way forward this time (since yesterday I was having issues getting up on foil on starboard tack).  After I brought the board/foil to the launch, I took out the wind meter and I was seeing gusts to 25 with steady breeze at 16.  Not knowing what the range of the Duotone 6m is, I have to admit I was a little anxious/excited.


With the wind pulling more east, I was able to launch as soon as I cleared the point - and with the wind strength, I was up on foil pretty quick.  Everything was going better than yesterday.  I noticed once up on foil, everything calmed down - I wasn't having to fight the wing, and the board/foil just "went".  More than windsurfing ever was, Wing Foiling is totally about finesse.  Starboard tack foiling was easy today also - I can't say if it was the foil adjustment or the increased wind speed - probably both.  Most of my runs were up on foil (as opposed to yesterday when I was shlogging on starboard and only flying on port).  According to my watch, I got up to 13.7mph today.  I only overfoiled/breached once.  On most runs I'd have a lot of room to hold the wing out like a windsurfing sail and still had plenty of room below the wing tip.


There were several other wingers out today - the Commodore of Pacific Yacht Club was on a Duotone Echo also; there was someone out on a Slingshot V2 Slingwing; and as I was heading in a guy on a 4.6 Naish Wingsurfer V2 was out.  I'm glad I got the 6m Echo - knowing the winds around here, I'll need the power it has.  I also like the boom a lot - I can make small adjustments to my hand placement and make the wing balanced. I also liked moving my feet around - with no straps on deck, there was nothing to get in the way.  It made turning a little easier not having to step around/over things.  I did get one tack in without crashing and a few jibes - but these were not up on foil - the ones that were ended up being train wrecks.  I could sense the wind was shifting more to the North, so after an hour and a half, I called it and sailed in to the launch point.  I can tell this is going to be a fun addition to foil surfing!

No comments: