Saturday, October 15, 2022

Dawn Patrol - 10/15/2022

Dawn patrol this morning - testing day.

Waves were chest high on the sets.  The tide was full - good for not touching bottom, but it did seem to drown out the breaking surf a little bit.  The wind was blowing from the north so it cleaned up the surf.  

I started with the F One Eagle 1090.


Same settings as yesterday.


I could catch waves and ride them almost effortlessly - but pumping out still was hard.  I'm thinking the chopped tail was hampering (based on my technique).  Jeff chopped this for performance primarily on the wing and I can see how this nip/tuck can speed things up.  But for prone and pumping back out, I think that added surface area would help out a lot.  I could still feel the mast flexing.  I just looked at the specs online - this mast is only 14 mm thick - that is probably a contributor to the speed this foil has (but it will cause more flex than I'm used to - pretty much nothing with the 19 mm Project Cedrus masts).


After catching several, I went in and switched out the foil from the F One over to the Takuma Kujira 1095 (75cm PC mast, Stringy direct bolt on fuselage and 178 rear).  After the typical "switching foil" three wave reset, I was catching triples.  The Kujira on the PC mast rides really high - and even though the F One mast and the PC mast I was using were essentially the same height, I felt like I was way higher using this foil compared to the F One.  Not that makes a difference - it just makes for a more thrilling ride.  The other difference I noticed was the Kujira did not go as fast.  I could get pretty much the same glide, but at a slower pace.

Both foils are incredibly similar - with the Eagle getting the nod in speed and easy glide, and the Kujira being more maneuverable and way easier to pump.

I think I'd have to use the Eagle with the full length DW210 stabilizer and the PC mast to get a proper comparison (but I'm thinking once I got that setup, that the Eagle will just get better all around).


I think tomorrow I'll test the ART999 against these two setups from today.

W:96/F:87/S:32

No comments: