Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Evening Session - 10/5/2022

Evening session - surf came down, tide was dropping and the wind was gone.  I decided to take a different approach today - I used the 4'6" prone foil board and bolted on the GoFoil GL180.


Just like all the other times I switch foils/boards/masts/fuselages/etc - it took a couple of waves to get my bearings.  And seeing as how I changed up pretty much everything, it took a couple of more waves to really get adjusted.

This board is noticeably lower in volume than the 4'8" I usually use.  Next time I setup the dunk tank I'll measure the volume of it, but for now I'm guessing this is in the 34 liter range.  Taking off on this board also challenged my muscle memory - it is narrower and shorter than my normal ride and when I got to my feet, they were not automatically falling in the sweet spots.

Then there was adjusting to the lift characteristics of the GL180.  In its day (which was probably only 18 months ago), this was one of the most progressive front foils available for surfing/downwinding/winging.  I could still get 2 for 1s (I actually got a lot of these today), but I could feel the thickness of both the front foil and the rear stabilizer.  Compared to the Axis ARTs, I had to work a lot harder to get the same runs. 
 


I used my gauge to get the mast positioned.  It was pretty close - I didn't move it, but I think it could have gone forward a 1/4".

Roland was out - and he made sure to do a flip right in front of me.  Tomorrow I'm probably going to skip beach time and work on the two boards sitting on the rack.

W:96/F:83/S:28

No comments: