Saturday, October 8, 2022

Garage Works - 10/8/2022

I got some work done in the garage today.  I took on this repair job - hairline cracks on the chine.  Jeff the owner of this board had tried to drain the water out - but I saw some when picking it up.  I let the sun push most of it out, then I let it sit over night right side up (of note, the water would bubble up readily if the board was upside down - but nothing would come out if right side up...).

I placed filler to close up the drain slit.  I sanded that after the epoxy cured (and sanded the area underneath where the patch in the picture below would sit), and got the patch epoxied on.


This part was easy.  The hard part was cleaning up the board - there was dried paint on it all over the place, tacky stuff from the nose bumper Jeff had on the board, and some Gorilla Glue hanging out across the deck pad.

Tomorrow I'll remove the plastic, sand the edge, dress up the edge with posca, then place the fill coat on.


I actually started out sanding this board first.  I needed to get the excess epoxy off to get the paint on and the logo.


Building these boards the way I do really is a lot of labor.  I think when I do a small prone board again, I'm going to try to vacuum bag it and see if that reduces the labor (pin hole are the big pains).


And here is No.27 all caught up to where No.26 is (fill coats ready to go through final sanding).


I get to sand more tomorrow (oh yeah).

No comments: