Monday, October 3, 2022

Evening Session - 10/3/2022

I pulled an evening after work session.  The waves were supposed to be up, the tide down and who knows what the wind would be doing - I opted to take the Seaside and Beyond.

I wanted to mix it up so I took off the Machado Quads and placed the Tim Bessell set.


I caught several waves, riding them for surprisingly long distances (I really love this board!!! I never felt this way about the Sunday or the Greedy Beaver - I did have some moments with the Toots Asymmetric but I don't think I've found the right fin combo for me yet on that board to unlock its potential).  The Bessell fins were really fun.  When I was carving out bottom turns, I could feel the fins vibrating - they would emit a high frequency vibration (just like the Axis rear stabilizers) - SO COOL!

These fins look to have slightly less surface area than the Machado quads. I'm still going to need to put a bunch of time in on them to find out for sure, but first impressions are these are faster and looser than the Machado fins.  The draw back to that is on the top turns - they weren't as deliberate with the Bessell's.  And the times that I looked down, my back foot was further forward than when using the Machado's - this is not so good, as the board turns way better when your back foot is closer to the tail.

This was probably the smallest day I've had the Seaside and Beyond out - and it still performed amazingly!!!  Probably chest to head high, so not really that small on the sets.

I'll ride this board with this setup for a few more sessions - then I'll switch back to the Machado's to compare/contrast.  Then I want to try this board as a twin - I have a pair of WR Nightmares waiting!!!


W:95/F:82/S:28

No comments: