Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 10/4/2022

Pulled an after work wing session at Hickam.  I got there at 3pm and the wind was blowing enough to get going with the Takuma RS 6.1 on the Kujira 1210.

I installed the anti-ventilation fence on the 85cm Project Cedrus mast and wanted to give it a go today.


It had been a little bit since I had gone winging, so for the first few runs I practiced jibes and tacks on both sides.  I pulled a couple of toe-to-heel tacks (inbound run) so I felt warmed up enough to head out to the surf.

As far as whether the fence works or not, I did not lose it to a burp.  I did feel and hear a few really small burping events, but they did not fully develop - so I'm giving the fence a positive approval.


When the sets came in, the rides were really good - chest to shoulder (while up on foil) and groomed faces (with what seemed to be wind with a good amount of north in it).  Lots of good turns while keeping in the power pocket of the waves (and using the wing more like a windsurfing sail to apply more leverage and power through the soft spots).

The wind was almost too much for my 6.1 - almost (was actually better for my left elbow that I had to work with more power in the wing).  Jim had his Duotone DLab Unit 6.0 out, and Harris used his F One 7.0 CWC Strike


I had some really long runs on foil.  The graph shows I did fall off more than a few times - but I was on foil for way more than I was off.  Really good conditions today!!!


The Unit had a very close profile to the OR Glide A.  Jim says he trips on these wingtips quite a bit.  That is a distinct advantage that the RS has - the wing tips do not tend to drag nearly as much.


The angle for the front hand is similar, but gotten from different methods.  The RS has a bent handle, while the Unit has a bent strut.


If you didn't jump on the wind today, the forecasts look pretty dismal for wind over the next couple of weeks.  Tomorrow I may surf the Seaside and Beyond again.

W:96/F:82/S:28

No comments: