Saturday, May 7, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 5/7/2022

Winging session this morning.  Kalani, myself, Tim and Roland all piled in to Kalani's Sequoia.  Four boards, seven foils, seven wings and support gear - but it all fit.

Wind was on the light side - which was fine with me as I wanted to get more time on the Takuma RS 6.1 wing and test the Kujira 1440 as a light wind combo.

Kalani set up his new Axis HPS 980.  At first he went out with a 5.2 Ensis V2.  He was able to get up on a couple of runs.  When he came in to adjust his foil (shimming the rear stabilizer), I suggested he put up the 6.0.  He was back out after a few minutes and was cruising around and jibing like he was before his illness.  He even got in a small jump.  He is using the board I built for him - I was a bit nervous if he would get it dialed in - as a shaper, you want the person you made the board for to really like it.  Today he did (whew!).


The RS behaved much better today.  After the first session with it I wasn't liking the backwinding that was happening as I tried to pinch upwind.  Today with the lighter winds, this wing was a joy to use.  Tons of low end power - like taking off in puffs that barely deform the water surface and sustained lift in almost nothing (which was actually 12mph).  I think as long as the wind stays below 20 mph in the gusts, this will be the wing I use.

I tried to get in some toe-to-heel tacks in.  Primarily leading with the wing, but I would come down from foil and the whole tack was not pretty.  I'm now thinking I need to go in both with the wing and the foil at the same time.

The glide that I felt using the 1440 in the surf was right there under the wing.  The 6.1 and the 1440 made this light wind session super fun. 


Got some miles in today - over 14 on the first run.


Long stretches up on foil.  Only came down when I botched the tack attempts.  Surprising how fast the 1440 can go.


I took a break after an hour - the big RS is a very physical wing - I have sore muscles where I didn't when using the other wings.  I hit a second session and got in another 8 miles.





Cool wing site with all the regulars!


W:37/F:43/S:14

No comments: