Sunday, July 17, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 7/16/2022

Did a dawn patrol over at Kailua Beach Park yesterday morning.  There was good wind so I pumped up the Reedin SWX 5.2 and bolted on the 1095/178/60cm fuse.

Kalani, Billy and Phil were all out - as were a ton of others I did not know (maybe 15 wingers).


I had a ton of really fun rides.  I'd head out on a starboard tack riding goofy, then when I got to the top of Jump City, I'd switch back to regular and jibe onto the cresting wave.  I actually stopped and just realized the wing and the foil have allowed me to get to this point - I wasn't able to get here with a windsurfer or kiting gear.  After catching a wave, I'd barrel down at high speed and bottom turn, then do turns up and down the wave as it rolled on through.  If there was a hair more wind, I would have been able to luff the wing, but I just kept it in my hands (or one handed it when the conditions allowed) so I could ride more efficiently.


After about an hour and a half, the wind started to back off (Kailua is usually an early morning, late afternoon wind spot) and I called it (so Marlon wouldn't have to wait around - he came with his longboard in case Flat Island was working - but there was too much wind so he flew his A2S).


Dropping down the faces, I felt like I had broken the 20mph barrier - but the Garmin speed log said other wise


This was another one of those really great sessions!  Here's Billy using his 6.0 SWX.  On the way out he would use the leash to get the wing higher up in the wind window.


Kalani riding goofy foot (he doesn't switch)


Awesome morning!


W:67/F:61/S:17

No comments: