Sunday, July 3, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 7/2/2022

Today was an experimenting day.  Winds were forecasted to be really strong - which they eventually were, but there was a slow start.


I ended up with four segments to this session.

First segment was with the Takuma RS 6.1 - it was pretty light to begin with.  I also had bolted on the ART999/420HA combo again.  And just as I launched, the wind started to fill in.


I tried a few inside tacks and got them around - I'm thinking the front foil is what makes all the difference in this transition - the Kujira 1440 was the easiest foil to do this with.  I might have to use that foil to develop the muscle memory, and then come back to the faster foils.  The wind got pretty stiff, so I went in to switch wings.


Second segment - same lower, and swapped the RS 6.1 for the SWX 5.2

I was still pretty powered, but decided to stick this out because I was not grossly overpowered.

After a few transitions to get recalibrated, I headed out to Firsts.


With the lower tide, the dropping swell still had nice form - I picked off several rides that were just as good as the ones from earlier in the week.  The peaks would show and the waves would run at that same height through to the bowl.   There they would break and I would maneuver around the section and keep riding the wall as it marched on.  SO MUCH FUN!!!  The SWX rides best barely luffing from the first riding handle (not the luffing handle).  From this position, I could pull a little power when needed to stay with the wave, or book it to a better section. 

The wind had seemed to fill in even more (just a notch below nuking) so I headed in.


I was contemplating going ahead and calling it a session, but I decided to swap out the ART999/420HA to the ART899/380HA and get some speed runs in.

I had gotten in about 20 minutes of some really fast runs - but the Strava app had not recorded the run.  That third segment saw some spectacular blow ups (there was a constant spot where the wind would spike up and if you weren't ready by softening up on your stance and preluffing the wing, you got bowled over), and some potential records for me.  Oh well - serves me right for forgetting my watch yet again.

I had just enough time left before I had to take off for work to get in one more segment and make sure it was recorded.


This was the data from the 4th run


24.61 mph max speed.  Not too shabby.

I feel that run was as fast as the others that weren't recorded from the third segment.  I'm going to have to tune in the 380HA rear stabilizer - it was singing like an opera singer on opening night.


Fun session!!!

W:59/F:61/S:17

No comments: