Sunday, July 24, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 7/24/2022

Today's session was running the Bluewater Hawaiian Classic race in the wing foiling category.  Start was at the tip of Koko head/Portlock and the finish was at the Kaimana windsock.  Marlon and La came with me - and Marlon got to fly his drone to get some cool pictures (and he said a person he was flying with totally lost her drone to the ocean...).





This was just after the start.


I think Marlon took this before the start.


I didn't mention this yesterday, but there are a ton of malolo flying around - really cool to see!

I used the same gear as yesterday (5.1/1210/178/85 mast/No.25)


The winner of the race (Robert of Blue Planet Surf Shop) posted his GPS track


Compared to my route, he took a slightly more outside track and he switched tacks a lot more often.


He also had a 7.0 meter wing up - I think two things would have made a difference for me.  First would have been the 6.1 wing that I had originally planned to inflate.  I was swinging the wing a lot in the middle of the run.  The second thing is a longer mast.  The breaches I experienced would have been avoided if I had the Clydesdale 96.

The wind was slightly better than the run from yesterday. 

And today was a bee's line to the finish.  Honestly I had a great start - just lost it going this fast downwind (when that is my least used point of sail).

I wasn't last, not by a wide margin so I did fine.  I haven't seen the results, but if 13 started, 5 finished behind me so that makes me 8th???

I was able to get most of the way to the wind sock by wing power, and I pumped the rest - UNTIL I HIT A CORAL HEAD as a wave was sucking out.  Needless to say I was boiling pissed. Oh well - I needed to fix yesterday's scrapes anyways.


This downwind stuff is really fun!

W:74/F:61/S:17

No comments: