Sunday, July 10, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 7/9/2022

 I had to go to work yesterday, so I got in a truncated session at Hickam.  ART999/380HA/Ultrashort Fuselage, 85cm Project Cedrus mast, Wide Wing Foiling Board and the mighty Reedin SWX 5.2 were the equipment pieces of choice.


The wind was pretty consistent.  Arvin was out already when I got there (he's in the middle of the above picture).  My first few runs were to get my bearings on the Axis setup (I had been using the Takuma Kujira 1210 the past couple of sessions over at WPB) - including turns.

After the warm up, I headed out to Firsts.  The waves were further apart (good so I did not have to ride through white water) and the bigger ones were about 10 minutes wait between them.  They were breaking in the bowl and they were slow enough that I would ride upwind of the breaking section and watch the lip crumble about a foot over my head - this is truly an incredible experience that I cannot put into words. 


The speed chart below shows an interesting point - I'll need to experiment more, but dropping to the 380HA from the 420HA didn't necessarily yield a faster top end speed.


The 380HA had noticeably less lift than the 420HA I have been using, but not so much that I felt like I wasn't getting any lift - it was definitely closer to the critical point of being effective/not effective. 

W:62/F:61/S:17


No comments: