Saturday, July 23, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 7/23/2022

For today's outing, Roland and I did the Hawaii Kai - Kaimana downwind run.  Marlon came with us to drop us off at the keyhole along Kalanianaole (near the boat ramp), and then he was able to meet us at Kaimana Beach Park for a pick up.

I put up the same gear I've been using for the past several sessions - No.25, RS 5.1, 1210/178 on the 85cm Cedrus mast.

Super fun session!!!  Today was the fun run and practice for the Bluewater Race tomorrow.






Here is the track from the run and a break down.


The launch was not as bad as I thought it would be.  There were some holes in the wind (and Roland got stuck) - but some broad reaching and I was out at the point.

I don't think Roland had much direct downwind experience, so the I hung back until we got into some steadier winds - never leave your wingman...


The wind hugged the shoreline coming through the passes.  I tried to stick to the wind lanes as much as I could.  Periodically I would keep pulling to the outside to keep the Diamondhead crossing manageable.






That is until we reached Diamondhead... then the surf was too irresistible.  Roland and I probably spent 30 minutes here catching waves - so much fun!!! 


Then one last run outside to get positioned for the run in to Kaimana.




I couldn't see the windsock and headed in to the canoes.  Then I saw the windsock further over to the left.  Tomorrow I'll have to try and get a better site line on the windsock so I don't come short.


This wind graph is from the airport meter so it isn't exactly correct for this run - and we covered a lot of distance so not that it would matter much anyways.

For the race tomorrow, I'm thinking 1210/178 again since that setup has been reliable and fast.  And if the forecast holds true, the wind is supposed to be down a notch, so the RS 6.1

We'll see...  anyways - winging today was so much fun!


W:73/F:61/S:17

No comments: