Friday, July 1, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 7/1/2022

Today was supposed to have had nuking winds - and for a while the wind was strong, but it wasn't nuking.  

I set up the same gear as the past couple of days.  I picked Kalani up - and Marvin, Harris, Jim and a few others were out also.  Matt came out towards the end of the session.  Marvin wanted to try out a shorter board, so I let him board the 5'0"x25"x5".  Both Kalani and Harris had brought out their just picked up High Modulus Carbon Fiber 90cm Axis masts.

At the beginning of the session, the wind was strong - I took off pretty quickly and headed out to Firsts.  The conditions outside were a carbon copy of the two previous days - but better.  The wind was more steady than it had been, it was lined up with the swell direction and was strong; the waves were cleaner and stood up taller, the tide was nice and full.  I caught several remarkable waves - overhead bowling walls that I could carve (normally with winds with more north I get blown back - I can rip with easterlies).

These days get burned into my head - so good!


I ended the first run to go in and try to coach Marvin through his first runs on a shorter board.  The wind started to collapse and I never made it back out to Firsts.


I thought the wind had more east in it than what the chart shows.


And here is the surprise of the day - according to the Strava app I was running, I hit 23.9 mph.  I'm not sure I necessarily believe this - but while riding the bigger waves taking off on the outside, I did feel like I was going as fast as the foil would go and where I could still control it.  If the wind was stronger in the inside, I would have switched the rear stabilizer out to the 380HA - who knows I might have gone faster.

Where it gets hard to believe this is the app listed a max speed of 26 mph, but I can't find a reading on the analysis plot higher than 23.9.

The quest continues.... and hopefully tomorrow the wind will get stronger




W:58/F:61/S:17

No comments: