Sunday, September 11, 2022

Dawn Patrol - 9/11/2022

Dawn patrol this morning saw a bigger swell, but oddly it wasn't breaking - just like yesterday...

The tide was pretty full (but waves still break on a fuller tide), and there was no wind - super clean!!!

I opted to change out the ART 999/400P/Crazy Short setup that I have been using lately to the ART 899/375P/Ultra Short fuselage.

Lots of surfers showed up in anticipation of an uptick in wave size -


Every 15 minutes or so, a set showed up that was breaking on the far outside.  It was just odd that the swell would pass through to the far inside without breaking.


Marlon was shortboarding, but at some point he went in and was flying the drone.

I caught several really fun waves.  The 899 provides for a less abrupt takeoff, but definitely harder to pump back out.  What it gave up in glide and pumping (which it still did have - just not as much as the bigger ARTs - but that isn't unexpected) to made up in additional speed.


This was the first time I used the 899 surfing (and this is also probably one of the longest streaks of using the ARTs in the surf).  I ended up changing too many variables - the front foil, the fuselage length and the rear stabilizer - all different this run.  I did enjoy this setup, but I think it would have been more appropriate if the larger waves were breaking throughout the range.  The 999 would have let me connect more waves.


There was a really long lull between the first wave I caught and the series Marlon took pictures of here.  I ended up having to position much closer to the inside before I was riding again.  Tomorrow is supposed to be the peak of this swell(?), with some trade activity returning.  I think I'll continue to give my bout of golfer's elbow on my left arm a break - so I'll likely prone foil again tomorrow.

W:92/F:76/S:19

No comments: