Saturday, January 6, 2024

Dawn Patrol - 1/6/2024

Dawn patrol conditions were really good today.  Super clean, glassy water surface combined with waist to chest swell and a highish tide made for super fun Foil Driving.


Marlon brought his longboard - he waxed up and that was the last I saw of him.


I wanted to experiment today.   I bolted on the F One SK8 950 and the Carve 200 rear stabilizer.  I initially positioned the mast close to where the Spitfire 960 is placed.  I ended up shifting the SK8 forward twice and it ended up way forward in the tracks.  Where this foil had a weird "stall" before it picked up speed and rode normal, this was the first board that had sufficient mast track to move it forward enough to feel "normal" during takeoff.


This was an excellent session - with the only issue being getting lured out too far and the waves not breaking. 


It looks like the takeoffs were concentrated at nearly a singular spot.


Once I got the foil position dialed in, I was getting doubles without issue.  I even got a quad (with a fifth wave in reach, but my back leg and lungs said "no mas".  Looks like I got 25 waves this session - not as many waves per hour as previous sessions - but the SK8 is also the smallest foil I've used to date with the Foil Drive.  I think this foil would be best used on waves of 50kJ or more (today was 30kJ).


Dennis was out with his prone setup.  He was using the gen 2 FD.  Kalani was using his Dragonfly in SUP foiling mode (no motor).  On my last two waves, I ran into Roland who was foiling on the inside.

Tomorrow I'll continue the experimentation (bolting on the Unifoil Progression 170).

W:2/F:3/S:0

No comments: