Monday, January 8, 2024

Garage Works - 1/8/2024

It was raining buckets today.  It was also blowing like stink so the thought of winging did cross my mind - but bad traffic (partially because of the heavy rain and flooding, and also due to everyone going back to work/school) squashed any hope of winging (and it was even sunny over at Ewa for a while).

That's ok - I have a build in the garage.


After walking away from a project, coming back with fresh eyes helps zero in on the parts that still need attention.  I worked on the top and bottom of the tail.  I feel much better about the tail now.  This board is definitely a departure from my regular shaping results - more rounded bottom and thinner rails/tail.  In a nutshell, this board is more racing SUP and less windsurfer.  Will be interesting to test out!!!

I also shaved down the excess from the polyurethane block I placed on the top deck yesterday.

After all the shaping and subsequent sanding was done, I added the epoxy/thiksil fill to the voids around the mast track box and used the excess fill to get the seal coat finished.

Tomorrow I'll do the same to the top deck (and I'm going to think about this, but instead of installing a SUP handle, I may just install a couple of 2-hole footstrap inserts that I can bolt on a webbing handle).


The other thing I got done today was switching out the standard 2-blade propellor hub for the new 3-blade hub.  Dennis let me try his and at first pull of the trigger I knew this prop setup was a necessary addition.


I think this is even better than the Magic Hub (has the low end punch of the Magic Hub and the top end speed of the standard hub, and it is easier on the battery???).


Can't wait for the next Foil Drive opportunity!!!

No comments: