Monday, January 15, 2024

Garage Works - 1/15/2024

And after all that, I got to make a run to Fiberglass Hawaii in town and grabbed some more carbon fiber.  I got 4 yards of the 4.8 ounce cloth (I needed slightly more than 2 yards for this laminate).

When I got back home, I sanded the laps from yesterday's lamination.


Next I placed 2 layers of the innegra weave I grabbed from Fiberglass Hawaii last Friday.  This stuff looks more appealing to layer in because it is in a loose weave.  I'm hoping to get the strength from the fibers, but not the weight that the full innegra cloth has.


Here's the description of what innegra this is.


Next I wanted to give the top deck some additional rigidity.  Since this will be a strapless wingboard (and a gen2 Foil Drive Max board), I wanted to place a spine on top also.  I used the remainder of the carbon tape that I used to place a long single spine on the bottom deck, split it and placed it where I expect my feet to be.

Before placing the nose to tail carbon sheet, I did move the carbon strips into a 'V' 


Here's the top laminate sheet prepared for epoxy placement.  You can also see the 'V' in the carbon tape.


And here is the board laminated using 21 ounces of aluzine epoxy.


This came out nice and tight.  Normally with innegra, I have to keep an eye on the epoxy as it is hardening to make sure nothing is floating.  I did that here as well, but after a little time, everything looked to be settling in nicely.


And this is the board after the top deck hardened.  It looks like the laminate got tighter to the deck.  Not sure how or why, but I'll take it!  This will serve as a strong foundation for the board!


I am debating using foot strap inserts or leash plugs to set up a top deck handle.  Once I figure that out, I'll get those installed and also get the epoxy fill where the logos will go in place so I can place the decals and let them set.

Surprisingly this build is going at a good pace.

No comments: