Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Wing Foiling Session - 1/2/2024

The forecasting sites were divergent for today's weather predictions.  I was keeping an eye on the wind reports and headed over once the airport meter read 17mph.


I kept all the gear I used yesterday in the truck and didn't have a choice on what to setup - 


Which in hindsight would have lead to a complicated decision - the wind was good when I drove up.  The Eagle 1090 and SW2 5.2 were perfect.  But by the time I was headed out, the wind started nuking.  Not having a choice, I just went with the flow. 


The wind got really strong - like HPS700 and SW2 3.6 strong.  There were 3 Quest boats running around when I launched and by the time I was making runs to get upwind, all three of them had capsized and were getting pushed downwind.

I had expected the wind to ease a bit, but for 30 minutes it didn't.  The wind also shifted - it was steady from the East, but then started swinging more Southerly.  I actually stayed inside the reef line so I could more easily control the wing/foil.

I was also testing the Project Cedrus mast - I took off the anti-ventilation fence and wanted to see if I needed to lower it further on the mast.  I was pretty cautious initially - I didn't feel like testing the new impact vest (and harness that La got me for Christmas).  After a few minutes without any issues, I started to push the gear - and no issues popped up.  There was definitely short period chop - that would normally initiate the ventilation.  And I purposely pinched hard to go upwind at a high angle - no ventilation!

About halfway through the short session, the wind did notch down to 5m strength.  I made a run for Firsts.  You can see in the chart below the lines I had to take to get to the break.  The waves weren't breaking where they normally do - so this was local wind swell.  I rode a few, but the wind kept dropping - I figured I should cut my losses and head in.


Looks like I was out at the peak of the wind event - rare line up of timing and weather conditions!


Jim, the other Tim (Armstrong wing guy in the big truck), the older Japanese guy learning, and Harris all showed up as I was packing up.

This was the last of the forecasted wind for the next several days.  There is a storm that is supposed to hit next Monday - that may bring some wind with it.


I'm glad I was able to ride this transient event!  Crazy to go from 3.6 wind to barely able to stay up with a 5.2 and the 1090 - but you only grow from challenges!

W:2/F:1/S:0

No comments: