Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Final Sanding and Leash Plug on the New 4'10"

I hit Home Depot and grabbed the other grits of the sanding net 120-180-220-320 (I got the 60 grit yesterday).  When I got home I got to sanding again.  I got through all the grits.  This may be the best sanding job I've done to date.  These sanding nets are awesome!!!



The logo decals made it through the sanding process without a hitch.  Not sure if it was the sanding nets or the extra caution I might have been taking - regardless it looks pretty good and it still has some thickness on top of them.




After I finished sanding, I went ahead and cut out the hole for the leash plug.  I am installing it into the back end of the board (just like on the 4'6").  I mixed up 1.4 ounces of epoxy and added 3 scoops of milled fibers along with a dab of black pigment.  I used the deep cup leash plug and babysat the epoxy until it started to set.  I removed the tape surround before the set and again it came out really well - no recesses on the perimeter.




Tomorrow I'll grind down the leash cup, sand around that area, wipe down the whole board, spray the clear coat on, cut out the hole for the vent and epoxy it in place.  On Friday after that all work dries/cures, I'll place the deck pads, marine grip and leash line.  This should be ready for the weekend.  This board is about half the weight of the wider 4'10" - but that board is a polyurethane blank.  It's going to be interesting to test this along side the wider board - with pretty close dimensions this will be mainly a material/weight difference test.

No comments: