Monday, May 25, 2020

Evening Session - 5/24/2020

Marlon and I hit the beach in the evening to grab some of the elevated surf.  The swell was chest high with a few bigger ones every once in a while.  The tide was super full at 1.9'.  It was already deep just off the beach (I could have been using the 29.5" mast with the 3" track adaptor...).  The wind was the driving factor - it was blowing side on shore and it was stiff.  I went right early in the session and I was definitely going slower.  But the wind did die back as the sun got lower on the horizon.





Here are some pictures Marlon asked me to post.  Additionally, I witnessed Marlon on a pretty gnarly wipeout.  It was on a bigger set and his board got airborne and was flying all over the place.  I do not know how he did that, but it was spectacular.


After I figured out that I should go left at takeoff so I didn't fight the wind, then turn back to the right as I got in the wind shadow on the inside, the rides got really good.  I really like the combo I'm foiling now - I switched back to the GL140 and it paid dividends.  At my weight, I'm giving up pumpability (which is what the GL180 offers), but the speed gains, ability to crank turns without fearing breaches, and being able to takeoff on steeper waves or make it through big whitewash pickups totally makes this front wing the best I've ever used.  So don't judge your session on what you see from the beach - I would normally have turned this blown out surf down, but once I was in the water, I ended up getting one of my better sessions this year!

No comments: