Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Evening Session - 5/13/2020

Marlon and I hit the beach after I got back from work.  The tide was going up to a high, but it was hovering in the 0.7' to 1' range while we were out.  The wind was blowing onshore - there were some thick clouds above the Waianae mountain range, seems as if they were sucking in the warmer moisture laden air - but the winds were on the light side.  Lastly - the swell was small - mostly thigh high.  Marlon actually did a solo dawn patrol this morning - he said it was more consistent in the morning.  Anyways - there is a south swell showing on the buoys so things will get better.


I brought out the 4'10" board, the 24.5" (+3") mast, and the GL140 front with the P18W for the rear.  This session was testing to see the lower end of the range on this foil.  Realistically, I would have had more gliding if I had the GL180, but I also was able to ride thigh high waves - just needed a boost at takeoff and then to bumps take over.  I had several long rides - picked off on the outside and taken almost all the way back onto shore.  I did have one breach (don't know what happened there).  And I had several aborted takeoffs - bad foot placement was the main culprit.  I don't think I'd keep the GL140 on if it is this small (swap to the GL180 below waist high), but it is good to know it can be used when there is this little energy.


Marlon was catching everything as usual.  Another fun day in the water!

No comments: