Thursday, May 28, 2020

Almost Done with #18

I sanded the leash plug cup down this afternoon and I sprayed the clear coat on the bottom deck.  I left it to dry while we went out for dinner.  While we were out, I found a Creatures of Leisure "Eugene" pad (wider) so I'll put a Creatures front foot pad on this board.


When we got back I went ahead and sprayed the top deck with clear coat.  I'll let it dry overnight and finish outfitting the board tomorrow.  I still have to drill a hole for the air vent - going to put this one between the front and back pads since my earlier mess up (epoxy burn voids) are still in this area.  After that epoxy sets, I'll put the dimensions on the bottom deck (4'10" x 20" x 4 3/8"), sign it, spray some clear coat over that, put the deck pads on, string up the the leash line, stick on the Marine Grip patches and lastly put a coat of wax on the nose (to help during takeoffs - remember this board is only 4'10" - every inch is used).  With the completion of this particular board, I can really make comparisons of what properties work best for which conditions.  EPS vs Polyurethane blanks, narrower vs wider, thicker or thinner, more or less equal volume distribution - this is going to be a fun summer!


I anticipate this board being able to catch waves nearly as well as the V1 4'10" - but I am thinking it'll be a tad harder.  This new board is narrower, thicker and lighter - lighter by a wide margin - so it won't have the momentum that the V1 has.  But the flip side is the V2 has way less swing weight so turning should be better, the mass has been driven back so the foil will respond better (better pumping, better control while up on foil), and lastly it should float me better (so despite the lesser momentum during paddling, it'll still paddle easier and I can just outright catch the wave faster).  All theories to be tested soon!!! 

No comments: