Monday, May 25, 2020

Top Deck Lamination on the New 4'10"

I got the top deck lamination done yesterday.  I am still a little concerned about the voids that developed when I dropped in the reinforcement blocks with straight epoxy (DON'T DO THAT - cut it with aerosil or milled fibers), so I added some additional fibers - left over carbon and innegra.


I took my time cutting the laps and it paid off - not perfect but really nice.  I really like using the dense 4" dense foam rollers from Home Depot to laminate - more so than the ones I used to get from FGH.  The only problem with them is the epoxy tends to collect on the tip of the insert - and before I finish the lamination, the epoxy starts setting (and since it is concentrated - smoking).


I left everything cure and in the afternoon I went ahead and grinded the laps and added the logo stickers.  I am going to see how these last under the fill coat (should be more durable than the logos on the Dually Stubby - but that's what this is all for, figuring out what works best).



Today will be addressing the voids around the tracks and the two fill coats.  That'll leave sanding and the plug installs for after work the next few days.  This should definitely be ready to ride next weekend.

No comments: