Saturday, May 9, 2020

Evening Session - 5/9/2020

Hit it again - pretty much the same conditions as yesterday.  I switched to the GL180 thinking the wave energy was going down - but it stayed the same.  It really was just a matter of picking the right waves.  I had a few that threw white water just as it got to me and the takeoffs were pretty wild.  I'd get to my feet and then would lose balance and eat it.  Some of those I would make and get to open face.  Despite the big takeoff follies, I did get some really long runs, and with the GL180 I found I didn't have to pump as much as the GL140 (duh right).  The Kai stab was still on.  I did notice that the stability I was looking for came with a reduction in flat out speed (which isn't necessarily a bad thing - the P18W stab is just ridiculous fast).  I don't have a definitive way to measure the speed difference, but intuitively I'd say the Kai stab is about 25% slower.  Pumping is also a little harder with the Kai stab versus the P18W.


The other thing that I noticed was the nose down attitude of the board when trimmed up nicely.  When I put the P18W back on I'll throw on the rear washer and see if that makes a difference.  If the surf height stays the same tomorrow, I'll switch to the GL140 to further the comparison.  Marlon was catching everything - nothing new there.  Another fun session!!!

No comments: