Monday, April 29, 2024

Surf Check and Garage Works - 4/29/2024

I had the intentions to surf the Hammah Fish this afternoon, but when I got there the wind was howling onshore.  That was not forecasted and I figured it wouldn't be worth the paddle out.  Chris and Felipe had just paddled back in from being skunked for a while.  Felipe was swapping out wings and was going to go back out.

I left to pick Marlon up from the rail station and saw Roland headed down Ku'alaka'i

With Marlon on board, we headed back to the beach to see if anyone else was going to surf, wing or foil.


Felipe was out and ripping on the 5.0/Eagle 890.

Eli was on the beach contemplating going out - but didn't; you could feel the pressure subsiding.  And Felipe felt the same thing and headed in.


And Roland was waiting to get his hands on the F One Strike V4.  This one was a 5.0 - Roland was wanting to test a smaller wing.  It felt balanced and well powered in the light wind.


Glad to see no one had to paddle in.

We got home and in between cooking and clearing some other things, I shaved down the polyurethane top block and dialed in the shape of the rear part of the top deck.


I added a subtle concave to the rear of the top deck that goes 1/2 up.


I used sanding screen again and got it all faired in, including the slight side cuts for the where my legs would go when I'm sitting waiting for a gust.


I cleaned up the little bleed through of the gorilla glue that came through a slot where the mast track block had a void (bonus).


And I remarked the center line and made adjustments to the rear footstrap placement.


There is a bias to my strong side - but that's ok since that's where I'll be jumping (the only time I'll be in the rear strap - if I even jump at all). 


I'll cut the footstrap insert reinforcement block slots tomorrow and get those epoxied into place.

I also think that I won't be using a SUP handle on this one, as I can hold the board under my arm (it isn't too wide).

Once that work is done, I'll start laminating.  I think I'll have both the decks laminated by the end of this weekend (although there is some really strong wind coming our way starting Thursday... not too much work happens when the wind is nuking).

No comments: