Sunday, March 24, 2024

Wing Foiling Session - 3/24/2024

As part of juggling two vehicles among several family members, I wing foiled at Kailua this morning so I could pick up La after I was done.

The wind was up, and then it was down - common theme...



I wanted to use the ART Pro 1001 again, so I opted to go on the big side with the wing - the Mode Pro 5.5.  These wings supposedly like to be overpowered.


ART Pro 1001 - so efficient!!!


No.34 was a little rough today - the conventional shape seems to work better in choppy, surfy conditions (like today).


But after I got dialed in, all was good.  I even got a few really long wave only rides (the ones drifting off to the left).  I think the mast needs to be pushed forward just a hair (had a bit of bucking) in choppy conditions (I think it can go right on the mark over at Hickam).


For a lot of the session, the 5.5 was more wing than I needed.  But it never flapped (like the Takuma RS did) or deformed (like regular dacron wings do).


After using the ART Pro 1001 now for a couple of sessions, I don't think the foil is best used in unruly chop and turbulence.  The Spitfire 840 has demonstrated it cuts through that stuff with ease.  The 1001 is an amazing foil, but it seems more race horse than clydesdale.


I'm going to take a break tomorrow.  Marlon gets back so he'll have stories and pictures he'll want to share.

W:36/FD:19/F:4/S:9

No comments: